A Recollection of Memory

I always thought what you wore underneath was as important as what you wear on top.


A recollection of memories.

Confidence. If you have it, you can make anything look good. I always thought what you wore underneath was as important as what you wear on top. Dressing is a way of life. I am convinced that there can be luxury in simplicity. You can hide so much behind theatrics, and I don't need to do that any more.

Beauty is perfect in its imperfections, so you just have to go with the imperfections. I truly believe that philanthropy and commerce can work together. You have a more interesting life if you wear impressive clothes. My learning process is by eye alone; it's not at all scientific. I'd like to believe that the women who wear my clothes are not dressing for other people, that they're wearing what they like and what suits them. It's not a status thing.

My breakfast is very important. My job is to bring out in people what they wouldn't dare do themselves. Being one step ahead of a fashion trend is not so important to me. What matters is to always forge ahead. I remember walking the dog one day, I saw a car full of teenage girls, and one of them rolled down the window and yelled, 'Marc Jacobs!' in a French accent. I think it's the responsibility of a designer to try to break rules and barriers.

I adore the challenge of creating truly modern clothes, where a woman's personality and sense of self are revealed. I want people to see the dress, but focus on the woman. I have an obsession with details and pattern. I am convinced that there can be luxury in simplicity. Vanity is the healthiest thing in life. Design is a series of creative choices - it's a collaborative effort, an evolutionary process. You choose your fabrics depending upon what you want to say, then you work with mills to get those fabrics. Through the process, you realize what you want it to be.

I didn't like the '80s at all; it was a vulgar moment of fashion. I'm a fashion designer and people think, what do I know? Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity. I try as much as possible to give you a great basic product and what comes out, I feel, is really amazing. Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.


Comments